How often do you tweet, facebook, check your phone and text within a 24 hour period? If you’re anything like the Nuffies, we’re going to guess no less than fifty times per day!
The fact is we are all on 24/7. On line, on the phone, on call, on the go… we never switch off. Scientists and social researchers are now saying, for the sake of our mental health and our society, we should all take at least one day off a week to relax and unwind.
But what would it be like to switch off for just one day? 24 little hours – Could you handle it?
Would it freak you out or would it be a rebirth for your brain?
Why not try it and find out?
On Saturday 28th April, we want you to disconnect for 24 hours.
No online blogs or posts.
No phone calls or texting.
Worried? Don’t be. You wont be in this alone. In fact, there’s already some great Aussie bloggers that have signed up to take the 24 hour vow of disconnect!
You’ll be joining the likes of:
- Woogsworld: Woogsworld Unplugged
- yTravel Blog: Switch off on Kangaroo Island
- A Beach Cottage: Beach Cottage Goes Unplugged
- Jeroxie: A Challenge to Switch Off For 24 Hours
- Styling You: Could You Switch Off & Disconnect For 24 Hours?
HOW TO GET INVOLVED
Think you’ve got what it takes?
Join us in switching off on Saturday 28th April – anyone can get involved!
Plus, if you’re a WordPress blogger, we’ve created a neat little WordPress plug-in that you can install on your blog just like our bloggers above have done! When your readers visit on Saturday 28th April, this over-the-page display will let them know that you’re taking part in the 24 hour switch-off. Once they’ve seen it, they’ll be able to x out of the display and carry on reading your blog like they regularly would (the over-the-page display is frequency capped so it will only show up a maximum of twice per user… we wouldn’t want to be annoying now, would we?)
You can download the plug-in here.
Plug-in installation is very simple but to help you out, we’ve created a step-by-step installation guide with screen grabs to guide you along the way! You can access the installation guide here.
We’d love to know if you’re taking part. Drop us a comment below and be sure to include your blog URL!
Here’s a screen grab example of what your readers will see when they visit your blog on Saturday 28th April.
We can’t think of a better place to switch off at than Australia’s very own Kangaroo Island. Why?
- It is one of Australia’s natural wonders with over one third of the island dedicated to National Parks
- A sanctuary for wildlife and a haven for world weary travellers so you can get back to nature and away from the rat race
- Crystal clear turquoise water and pristine, picturesque beaches are everywhere
- Even though it’s only a few minutes from the mainland, it is a million miles away from the hustle and bustle
- It’s where you can disconnect from the world and reconnect with the things and people that really matter.
Sounds nice, doesn’t it?
From 23rd April, if you head over to ‘The Real South Australia’ facebook page and check out the Kangaroo Island app, you will be able to upload a photo and indicate which type of holiday on Kangaroo Island you’d like to win!!!
So, what are you waiting for?
Take the 24 hour switch off challenge now and help spread the word by linking to this post via your blog, facebook and twitter. The more involved, the merrier.